Saturday, December 30, 2006

Yup; 11:30--as my blog says, "may be written at midnight"...and here we are. Tonight my husband and I watched a movie (Netflix! Delivered to your door, no sifting through the lousy offerings at Blockbuster--even the DVD covers are inappropriate these days)...let's see...the name of it...can't remember. Jennifer Lopez and Robert Redford and Josh Lucas and Morgan Freeman. Set in Wyoming; ahhhh, what country! Beautiful ranchland, tiny little mountain town with a couple of cafes and one or two sheriffs. Oh, yes; "An Unfinished Life" was the title. Anyway, it reminded me of the simple life; living off the land, living in Creation (aka; Wyoming) as opposed to in the city (though cities do have some benefits, such as libraries!). Money wasn't so important...but family (whoever that entailed--whether birth, blood, or friendship) did. In the end, at least.

I love our home (despite the layout and poor traffic flow...and small, closed-off kitchen...etc), because it is ours and our family is here...and we have a decent yard, really, for city dwelling. But some days, I long for country. I long for air and space and land and beauty and nature and snow and mountains...or at least nature and land. I am thankful for what God has provided, and I do believe we are currently, planted where we belong. But movies full of scenery such as this; oh, how I can dream!

We belong to a small Body of Believers in a desperate neighborhood; we see those rejected by the world, finding a place to belong there. But my life is comfortable. Predictable. And maybe for now, it should be...but I am not doing enough. I am busy living...but am I busy with the right things? Homekeeping, Homeschooling...yes, yes, all important. But time isn't blocked out for "giving"--baking for a neighbor, helping out someone, donating "stuff"--and then illness creeps in and steals a week or two (2 adults, 3 kids, one house...yeah, we share the germs!). My kids were sick all week, my husband is sick now, and I'm fighting hard with EmergenC and colloidal silver...and rest (except tonight!). So anyway...life happens, day by day...week by week...month by month...and then a year passes. Then another. And I always think "later..." or maybe "next week"...but...life keeps going by. Is it enough to train my little ones? Is it enough to be busy with their care?

Pondering these things on the Eve of a New Year...knowing that busyness will again overtake me as soon as I start my "mountain" of laundry tomorrow. And put on the turkey and noodles to cook. But for now...these things fill my heart and deserved reflection. Time is not lost lingering here.

No comments: