Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Over for another year...

So, Christmas is over for another year. Well, not completely...we now begin the "Twelve Days of Christmas" leading up to Epiphany on Jan 6. I am still getting used to that timetable, as I struggle *not* to take down my tree on Dec 26! And this year, my Christmas letters are going out this week...as they didn't get done before Christmas!

One thing I do shortly after Christmas is to sit down and review our days in November and December; I write out traditions that work, changes to be made, new gift ideas (especially of the homemade sort). And then I look through my holiday recipes (of which I have many!) and remove those that I decide I will *never actually* make...I jot down those I really want to try next year, and note which ones might make good gifts for our neighbor, or for friends. And this year, I realized that we had too many "snacks" yet not enough "side items" at my in-laws...so I noted that, and next year, I'll remember what to take.

Every year, I realize all the plans I had...and how many of them didn't happen! Kind of depressing, except that, we Moms simply cannot carry through all that we wish we could--not always. Because "life" happens. And living, is paramount, even to holidays. Oh, the craft ideas I found, which we never made...the scriptures we didn't read, the storybooks we didn't finish, the baking that didn't get done...time to let it go. Time to embrace a New Year, and cozy in for Wintertime. Still plenty of time for wintery crafts, lessons, baking etc.

I must remember to work harder at maintaining a good attitude next year--at my in-laws. Oh, I didn't *do* anything wrong, or *say* anything objectionable, and I kept a smile on my face. But it's a struggle, as I simply do not fit in. Our family systems operate very differently; the personality types are quite opposite those that are in my family. And there's the inevitable tension, as conversations occur...things are said...moments happen.

Indeed, the holiday Season is over for another year. But its Spirit remains, and lives on within our hearts. And that is our focus, as we prepare for the coming Season of Lent leading up to Easter...when the Joy of Christmas is temporarily replaced with sorrow as we remember our sins which were paid for by the horrible death of Our Lord...on the Cross. Then our full Joy returns on Easter morning, when we celebrate His miraculous rising and the full atonement made for us by the shedding of His blood!

Time to lay out cozy winter blankets as the Christmas decorations are put away...except for the snowmen and the scented candles, which will keep the home warm and snuggly throughout the dark winter as it sets in. And the candles in the front window. Those stay awhile longer as well.

No comments: