Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday's Thankful List

Another Thursday has come; time to consider all that which makes up my world and choose thankfulness in the midst of worries life brings. Today it is particularly challenging, for while there is no short of basic blessings; food, water, a home, a soft bed, showers, and so forth…it has still been an unusually trying week, with my husband’s schedule changes and various behavior issues we are working on in our little home. And I am so weary this week; from disturbed rest (late 2nd trimester changes, I’m sure!). We have completed only a bit of school today, but are taking a break to be outside.

This morning, my youngest (2) woke up at 5am. Yep, that’s right 5:00AM. Who knows why…but…she is still up. No nap yet, no rest…just energy. I’m thankful she isn’t whiny and crying as would typically be expected. She seems quite jovial today! But her Mama is tired and less jovial. My son was up at 6am, then our oldest at 7am. The older 2 needed a bit more rest I think, and so perhaps we will have early bedtimes tonight! And if I’m successful in this, then I will have another reason to be thankful! LOL.

I’m thankful to have completed a load of laundry, although I have much more to work on. J

I’m thankful that the weather has cooled, if only for today. There is still humidity in the air, and mosquitoes flying everywhere…but…we are enjoying a pleasant morning outdoors. Due to the heat, we haven’t been outside for morning playtime in awhile, so it’s good to have fresh air in our lungs and enjoy the sounds of nature. A cool breeze blows through every couple of minutes as well.

I’m thankful that the early signs of Fall are appearing (partly due to dryness, but appearing just the same!)…leaves are already falling from the trees, though not in great numbers yet. Our neighbor’s tree is slowly turning yellow, and the deep blue of the summertime sky is taking on a grayish hue reminiscent of cooler weather. The deep, dark green of our trees is fading every so slightly, in readiness for the changing colors ahead. And the coneflower has dried up now as well. Indeed, Fall is coming, slowly yet, but still on its way.

I’m thankful that my kids are healthy and (relatively) happy. I watch as they run about the yard, dig in the sandbox, and swing on our swingset. It may not last long, as inevitably a disagreement will erupt—but—for now, it is blissful to hear the sounds, and to see, even my youngest running around on her squatty toddler legs.

I’m thankful for the pumpkin patch my Dad planted, which we will enjoy in another month or two!

I’m thankful for the lovely little family celebration we had this week, for my baby’s 2nd birthday. Complete with my chocolate cake covered in chocolate frosting. Mmmmmmmmm.

I’m thankful to have my family; my children and my husband, however difficult this week is, and no matter how weary I become. I wouldn’t trade any of them, nor the little one growing inside me. Speaking of which, I am also grateful to feel her little kicks each day, as they grow stronger and stronger. A pleasant reminder of her existence in our lives.

No comments: