Sunday, February 15, 2009

Tea with Anne


"No, indeed! The rosebud tea set! Well, what next? You know I never use that except for the minister or the Aids. You'll put down the old brown tea set. But you can open the little yellow crock of cherry preserves. It's time it was being used anyhow--I believe it's beginning to work. And you can cut some fruit cake and have some of the cookies and snaps."

"I can just imagine myself sitting down at the head of the table and pouring out the tea," said Anne, shutting her eyes ecstatically. "And asking Diana if she takes sugar! I know she doesn't but of course I'll ask her just as if I didn't know. And then pressing her to take another piece of fruit cake and another helping of preserves. Oh, Marilla, it's a wonderful sensation just to think of it. Can I take her into the spare room to lay off her hat when she comes? And then into the parlor to sit?" ~from "Anne of Green Gables" by L.M. Montgomery

Can you imagine a time when “tea” mattered? When company was celebrated? A time when cupboards were accented with treasured preserves, cakes, and cookies, just waiting for tea with a special guest. I would love to visit “that time”. A place of beauty to be cherished, of joy in the simple moments, of life slow enough to stop for tea time…and Anne would be just the person to have tea with! Green Gables, just the place!

My oldest daughter is 10, and nearly old enough to enjoy the entire series of Anne books; my much-loved and oft-read paperbacks are waiting in a box; I look forward to passing them down. It is my hope that the magical stories so beautifully composed, will inspire imagination and a sense of “that time and place” for my daughter when she reads them one day.

I don’t live on Prince Edward Island…I don’t have a breathtaking farm like Green Gables. But I do have a tea set with roses on it! And I try to keep something freshly baked on hand, “just in case”. I have cherry preserves in the pantry, too! I believe it’s worth some effort, when possible, to be ready for impromptu tea parties with company. Anyone coming for tea? But when no one rings the bell, it is just as worthwhile to set the table with my beloved children and show them that, despite my impatience, my tone of voice, and whatever-else-I-might-have-failed-at-today…I love them, and they are worth taking time for tea and even using the fine china tea set.

Maybe that’s what I’ll do tomorrow, to brighten up our Monday. Make scones…and have tea.

No comments: