Monday, April 19, 2010

Decadence

I wish I'd taken a picture of today's dessert. Just for this post. But I didn't...sorry. I was busy eating it. It sounds very decadent, but I can justify almost any food...

Vanilla-Banana Ice cream sundae with peanut butter, caramel, and chocolate. Ohhhhhh, yeah. Ready for the justification? In other words, the health value?

Here goes:
3 small scoops vanilla ice cream (counts as a dairy serving, right? OK, that might be a stretch! But what if it's Breyer's all-natural vanilla? Still no? Fine, be stingy.)

Cut up a banana on top of the ice cream (now that IS a full serving of fruit)

Melt about 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter and pour this over the ice cream and bananas (now, I am a fan of "Peter Pan" brand, but if you're stingy, use an all-natural brand...either way, it still counts as a protein)

THEN, for the decadent part, drizzle a spoon full or two of caramel topping over the whole thing (no justification here, this is the decadent part, remember?)

And finally, for the heart-healthy topper...if you don't believe me, google "benefits of eating dark chocolate" and happy reading. You'll thank me. Anyway, chop up a square of quality dark chocolate and dump that on top of all that yumminess in your bowl. You could even have 2 squares, but I found one to be enough this time around. Of course, I ate the other square straight. I forgot to mention that.

So, there you have it. Now go make your own and enjoy every bite, GUILT FREE! Heck, you could even make mini-sundaes for the kids without worrying too much about it. And boy would they love you. No, I didn't do that for my kids. I love them all, but with under-5 crowd (and the over-5 boy) would have that messiness ALL over themselves. I'll save the idea for when they've grown up a bit. Or wait for swimsuit weather and then I can hose 'em all off outdoors.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Thank you for the nice comment on my blog yesterday. It is always nice to hear how families are benefiting from my blogs. I sincerely hope my entries continue to help and inspire you. :)

I loved this entry and I definitely think of dark chocolate as "health food". I need my daily dose.

Thanks again,
Barb