Monday, March 2, 2009

Sabbath, part 2

In considering the Sabbath, and ways for our family to observe it, I have to think over our daily activities. I spend many “moments” checking email, or looking something up online (often school-related)…connecting with the outside world on Facebook. :) I spend other moments doing laundry, which of course, never ends. Picking up toys, de-cluttering tabletops, preparing food. There are bits of reading time tucked here and there throughout the day, both to myself, and, to my youngest girls. Supervising schoolwork throughout our days, as necessary.

Obviously, my Sabbath would include a break from laundry and school! Realistically, I could not entirely break from meal preparations. And that is OK with me; I actually do enjoy cooking. If I plan properly, we can eat simple meals (even sandwiches), or I can use the crockpot and so on.
Reading is a healthy activity for all of us. Often, during the week, pressure to “do” overcomes my ability to “be”. I would like to spend more time reading with my children; especially my son, who doesn’t read well yet on his own, and my little girls. (My oldest is a bookworm!). Perhaps, a Sabbath rest from the “to-do” list would offer time to relax and read or play with my kids. Without the distraction of “all that I should be doing” on my mind.

I must look seriously at computer time. It, too, is a relaxing activity for me. I particularly enjoy blogging when time permits. Yet, some days, I fear my children see my laptop open too often. True, it is often legitimate “work” I’m doing; not just idle net-surfing…but I think it would be good for me (and for them) to have a day in which I do not use my laptop. A day in which my children see me give up something, in order to benefit from the sacrifice. And not only for personal benefit, but to rest my mind from “checking” email, or “checking” an amazon order, or “researching” next week’s lessons…or reserving library books online…or updating a FB status…just rest.

Here’s honesty: my children see my laptop open more than they see my Bible open. In addition to fasting from the computer on the Sabbath, I’d like my mornings to begin with reading God’s word. I often start my day with a cup of tea, and my laptop…I may be nursing or feeding my youngest, or I may be directing some schoolwork. I think it would be better for me AND my kids, if I focus on opening the Bible with my cup of tea. Even if I squeeze in only a few verses, before the inevitable interruptions. My actions are not consistent with my words, when I tell my children that God matters most. I have thought about asking the children what they believe matters most to Mom. But I cringe at the possible answers. And I know it may be difficult to make these changes…but we live only once. I have one chance to train my precious children, to set an example for them. Just ONE. It needs to count.

The season of Lent may be a perfect time to restore a sense of discipline to my heart, my life, my mornings. It is also the perfect time to restore consistency of our evening Family Worship Time. It is tough to have a productive Scripture reading with a 1-yr-old and a 3-yr-old; both are wearing down, are cranky, etc. How do we keep them quiet so we can have meaningful discussion with our older two? This, sadly, has kept us from consistency. Yet what matters is not always content, but that we *do have* family worship time. The children love to sing songs, to hear short Bible readings, to talk and pray together. It’s OK if there’s noise or distraction…if it doesn’t always go as planned…if the discussion is short. Our children need to *see* what matters most, as much as they *hear* what matters most.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi 'Tea......So great to hear from you..I've played around w/ a blogspot account a bit too...Just can never decide if I really want to make the switch or not...
..This was a really great post...it hit very close to home for me....
These words especially so: "Here’s honesty: my children see my laptop open more than they see my Bible open......I think it would be better for me AND my kids, if I focus on opening the Bible with my cup of tea. Even if I squeeze in only a few verses, before the inevitable interruptions. My actions are not consistent with my words, when I tell my children that God matters most. I have thought about asking the children what they believe matters most to Mom. But I cringe at the possible answers. And I know it may be difficult to make these changes…but we live only once. I have one chance to train my precious children, to set an example for them. Just ONE. It needs to count."
Wow!!!!! Thank you for yet another reminder to pay close attention to my actions!!!!

It'll be nice to keep in touch again.....Hope your week is a blessed one~ Karen

ps....Love the Duggar book! It's a great read.....When I bought mine, I accidentally placed 2 in my cart at Amazon.....and didn't catch the slip until they arrived in the mail.....My sister is borrowing my 2nd copy, but if you don't mind a used one, I'd love to pass it on to you when she's finished....